UI Cooperative Course Registration

Washington State University (WSU) and the University of Idaho (UI), both land-grant institutions closely located (8 miles apart) on the WA/ID border, have a rich history in cooperative education. The WSU/UI cooperative course agreement allows students at either institution to enroll in designated courses at the other institution.

Graduate students may be advised to take a UI cooperative course(s) for their program of study. If the student earns a grade of “B” or better in the UI cooperative course, the course credits will be listed on the WSU student’s transcript as transfer credit from the UI cooperative program. Cooperative courses taken pass/fail will not transfer. UI cooperative course grades are not transferred and grade points are not averaged into the student’s GPA on their WSU transcript.

  • Step 1. Complete the University of Idaho’s Application for Non-Degree Cooperative Program Admission form (PDF). The completed form should be sent to the WSU Registrar by fax (509-335-7823) or scan and then email it to coop.wsu.ui@wsu.edu. Please submit the form as soon as possible to avoid registration delays. The WSU Registrar will confirm your eligibility to enroll in the UI course and forward your form to the UI Registrar’s Office for processing.
  • Step 2. You will receive a letter in the mail from the UI Registrar listing your Vandal ID #, along with an explanation of how to enroll in the course using Vandal Web. Follow all the steps provided to set up your vandal account, password, and email account. All official communication from the UI and UI instructors is sent to this address so be sure to check it frequently.
  • Step 3. Prerequisites: The Vandal Web system will hold you to prerequisites; it does not look at WSU transcripts, nor any other external transcripts. Please consult the catalog to review the prerequisites; if you feel you meet the prerequisites, contact the instructor to request a prereq exemption override. For Food Science courses, prereq’s are generally met if you have a BS degree in science; in that case contact U of I Food Science staff for prereq override at 208-885-0707 and indicate you are a Coop student, your Vandal ID number, and the class(es) and section number(s) you wish to enroll in.

Please call the UI Registrar at 208-885-6731 with questions if needed. Be sure to mention you are a WSU ‘CoOp’ Student to the person who answers the phone.

Once you have registered for the UI course, a placeholder (UI_COOP 900) will appear your myWSU Student Center. This will remain until the end of the term. At the end of the term, the UI will send a transcript to WSU to record the transfer credit in myWSU, at which time the placeholder status will change to ‘dropped’.

Deadlines and procedures for registration changes for a UI cooperative course will follow UI regulations.


  • General tuition for both WSU and UI courses will be billed by your home institution (WSU). Check your WSU myWSU account for these charges and pay them directly.
  • There will be a $35.00 per credit charge for UI online web courses (special course fee). There may also be special course fees (lab fees, tech fees etc.) not covered by WSU tuition. These fees will be charged to your UI Vandal account; please check your UI Vandal account for these charges and pay them directly. Statements are not mailed.

Taking additional courses

Once you are admitted at UI and registered for a course, you may continue to enroll for additional COOP courses in future terms by logging on to the UI Vandal Web System. If you don’t register for a course in the same term you are accepted, you will have to reapply for admission.

If you encounter difficulties in the process, please don’t hesitate to contact us:

Debra Marsh, Academic Coordinator marshdj@wsu.edu, 509-335-2615.

Lisa Lujan, Academic Coordinator llujan@wsu.edu, 509-335-9542.